By Ryan K. Balot
- Offers a vast survey of historical political concept from Archaic Greece via overdue Antiquity
- Approaches historic political philosophy from either a normative and historic focus
- Examines Greek and Roman political concept inside ancient context and modern debate
- Explores the position of historical political proposal in quite a number philosophies, resembling the person and neighborhood, human rights, faith, and cosmopolitanism
Read Online or Download A Companion to Greek and Roman Political Thought (Blackwell Companions to the Ancient World) PDF
Similar political philosophy books
At the beginning sight, Karl Marx and Ludwig Wittgenstein could appear to be as various from one another because it is feasible for the guidelines of 2 significant intellectuals to be. regardless of this normal notion, despite the fact that, a small variety of students have lengthy prompt that there are deeper philosophical commonalities among Marx and Wittgenstein.
Oakeshott’s memorable lectures at the heritage of political concept, added every year on the London institution of Economics, will now be on hand in print for the 1st time as quantity II of his chosen Writings. in accordance with manuscripts within the LSE archive for 1966–67, the final yr of Oakeshott’s tenure as Professor of Political technological know-how, those thirty lectures care for Greek, Roman, mediaeval, and sleek ecu political suggestion in a uniquely obtainable demeanour.
Manuel DeLanda is a extraordinary author, artist and thinker. In his new booklet, he deals a desirable examine how the modern international is characterised via a rare social complexity. given that such a lot social entities, from small groups to giant realms, may disappear altogether if human minds ceased to exist, Delanda proposes a unique method of social ontology that announces the autonomy of social entities from the conceptions we now have of them.
Argues for revitalizing where of honor in modern existence. during this heritage of the improvement of rules of honor in Western philosophy, Peter Olsthoorn examines what honor is, how its that means has replaced, and even if it could actually nonetheless be of use. Political and ethical philosophers from Cicero to John Stuart Mill concept experience of honor and drawback for our acceptance may support us to figure out the right kind factor to do, and simply as vital, supply us with the much-needed reason to do it.
- Derrida and Our Animal Others: Derrida’s Final Seminar, the Beast and the Sovereign (Studies in Continental Thought)
- Real Rights
- Theorising Democide: Why and How Democracies Fail (The Theories, Concepts and Practices of Democracy)
- After Anarchy: Legitimacy and Power in the United Nations Security Council
- Murray Rothbard (Major Conservative and Libertarian Thinkers)
- Manifesto per un nuovo femminismo (Italian Edition)
Extra info for A Companion to Greek and Roman Political Thought (Blackwell Companions to the Ancient World)
A Companion to Greek and Roman Political Thought (Blackwell Companions to the Ancient World) by Ryan K. Balot